There is a lot to see and do in and around Kingswood and Broomfied.
Visitors are welcome to visit seven of our historical places in Kingswood and Kingswood. Below is some more information of these interesting historical sites.
Memorial to the memory of Flying Officer Peter Pease
Peter died in his Spitfire during the Battle of Britain (on the very day we now call Battle of Britain Day), crashing into an open field at Kingswood. There is a simple memorial and a tree planted at the landing site. This is located in the village, close to the centre of the field west of the Village Hall, just south of Gravelly Bottom Road. The memorial tree is easy to see from the Village Hall and from Gravelly Bottom Road. Access to Mr Edmed’s field is by prior arrangement only to Street Farm, Chartway Street, East Sutton. An affordable-homes development at the end of Ashford Drive in Kingswood has been named Peter Pease Close.
14th Century Hall House
In Broomfield Village an early Tudor hall-house faces west, now called Roses Manor Farm. Major additions in the 1700s and a small bothy added about 1840. A third of the building was unceremoniously removed by the owner, Leeds Castle, in 1953 because of undue stress on the 1380s oak frame.
Gabled Barn built in 1740
The barn faces south and was built for Roses Manor Farm. It is converted into two dwellings, Westlea Barn and Fairview Barn.
Oast House built about 1840
A traditional three-kiln Kentish Oast facing west, added to Roses Manor Farm. Now a dwelling, Roses Oast.
Saint Margaret’s Church and Churchyard
Traditionally the small Parish Church used by owners and residents of nearby Leeds Castle. Named for Saint Margaret of Antioch and largely built in the 1100s. Norman nave walls. Largely restored in 1879. Fine stained glass. Many references to the noble Culpepers and Fairfaxes, property-owners & benefactors in England and Virginia In the graveyard, just south of the church, the tomb of Joseph Hatch, Kent’s most renowned bell-founder, who lived and worked in Broomfield. Probably a place of worship for more than 2000 years, with ancient yew trees.
Ancient Village Well
At the roadside on the Village Green at Broomfield. Fed by spring water from the north-facing hills of the River Len valley. A plaque provides details on its likely origins. Also nearby, the village sign, with a plaque showing details of the Kentish bell-founder Joseph Hatch.
Rare Napoleonic Barracks
Eighteenth century set of, now, three dwellings called Barrack Cottages. Built to house military staff during the Napoleonic wars. Opposite Broomfield Village Green and facing east. Built in local rag-stone with red brick angle strips and centre bays. The windows have round heads, big white keystones and brick surrounds. The centre dwelling is available for holiday rental from Leeds Castle.