St Margaret's Church Broomfield
The small church at Broomfield is a Grade 1 listed building constructed of Kentish ragstone and was probably origionally built to serve estate workers of Leeds Castle; there remains a strong link between the castle and the church.
Robert Crevecoeur granted the church, a simple nave and chancel then, together with Saint Nicholas church at Leeds, to Augustinian Priory of Saint Mary and Saint Nicholas, Leeds in 1119. Archbishop Kilwardby recorded both churches in 1272.
The church was extensively restored in 1879 and the ancient Norman chancel completely replaced; the church has a simple white-washed interior. Further major repairs were undertaken in 1994-95 including a complete re-tiling of the roof with recovered peg tiles.
The tower has three bells which are regularly rung for services and plans are being developed to add two more bells.
The organ has the distinction of being one of the few instruments in the county relying on hand-pumping.
The yew tree at the west end of the church has been certified by the Yew Tree Campaign to be 1000 years old. Also of interest is St Margaret's Well at the junction of the church entrance path with The Street. This is decorated each year as part of the patronal festival.
The church is within the parish of Leeds and Broomfield and in joint benefice with the parishes of Hollingbourne and Hucking under a Priest-in-Charge.
As well as being popular for weddings, services are held once a month. Otherwise the building is normally kept locked, but can be visited on application to the verger -01622 861955.
Please contact the Church Wardens for further information:-
Brian Hardy Chris Saunders
01622 842915 07870978562